We had to be at the surgery center by 7:30. Her surgery was scheduled for 8:30am. I took Maddy while Kevin took Elly to school. The plan was for him to meet us before the surgery, but the traffic was so crazy that he missed her by about 10 minutes. :( Dr. S, the surgeon, was so kind. He went over everything with me in detail, the anesthesiologist came in and told Maddy they were going to play a game called "Space Woman." He told her she would get to wear a mask and if she felt like closing her eyes that would be okay. They inserted her IV after she was under. Thank goodness. That girl does NOT like needles. ;)
The doctor offered a time of silent prayer which I so appreciated and then they wheeled her away. She was able to wear her own clothes for the surgery and was allowed to take her bear with her, too. :) Her bear even got an ID bracelet with her name on it. Ha! They took such good care of Maddy. I was so impressed.
Afterwards, when she was waking in the recovery room, they called us back. She was groggy and trembling (a side effect of the anesthesia wearing off). She said she couldn't breathe, but the nurse said she had good lung sounds & gave her some Demerol. Maddy slept a little and had a grape slushy. About 9:45am, they gave her some Tylenol with Codeine and it made her a little nauseous so they gave her a drug to counteract that feeling. She felt good after that and had some grape juice. She was released at 11am. Can you believe that? It was a quick morning. The photo above is her getting ready to be wheeled down to the parking lot. Our fabulous nurse would not get in the picture even though she was adorable. She also has 2 year old twins named...Madeline & Ella. How crazy is that?
Maddy continues to do very well. She has had no complications & no bleeding. Yay! She has been home since Tuesday and is going to school for a 1/2 day tomorrow. She may also do a 1/2 day on Tuesday. I might bring her to my classroom to rest in the afternoon. That is one of the true privileges of teaching at the same school. :)
2 comments:
So glad things went well. I know I was much more scared about the whole thing than she was!
She is so brave! I was also very nervous for her, and especially for her mom and dad.... Said many prayers and sent them your way! She looks awesome in that picture! She's a trooper!
Post a Comment