Thursday, July 23, 2009

she's growing up...

My baby girl is growing up! She will be 4 years old in a couple of weeks. I just can't believe it! She is having some BIG lessons at school...
Here is a picture of Ms. Ann's metal inset. The ellipse. Obviously working on using a pencil correctly and tracing...
Here is Elly's. :) She made a book! Yay! This takes a LONG time when you are 3! There are MANY steps involved...getting a tray, a board, one piece of metal inset paper, a pencil holder, 3 different colored pencils, both parts of the metal inset. Then you have to carry it to a table very carefully... She also wants to make a calendar...so she has been learning her numbers and counting. She has been learning even & odd numbers. And now, she is practicing writing them! This is zero and one. :) She made a whole book! 5 pages front and back! Wow!
Elly also wants to make a planisphere map. First, she has to practice "punching" out the continents. This helps her learn the names...soon she will "punch" out each continent and save them (instead of gluing them onto a small piece of paper) and bring home a map like this... This is Maddy's Planisphere map from 2005! Isn't it beautiful...I know they are not in the correct places (which really is NOT the point!) we just want them to be in the correct hemisphere. :) I tried to get a picture of her name...which she wrote in cursive ALL BY HERSELF! But, it did not show on the black construction paper. :( It takes a long time to complete a map like this...especially for a 3 year old. They have to "punch" out all of the continents and remember which ones they have punched out. And, keep them in their file so they don't lose them! Because, if you lose one (or all)...you have to do them again! :/ It's a LOT of work!
Elly also punched out the quatrefoil...a metal inset. Again...she is strengthening her fingers to do all of the those big Kindergarten works! ie~handwriting! WooHoo, Elly! We are so proud of you, Gracey Girl! :)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh! Elly is punching and WRITING! I love it! Her Africa look beautiful! And I love that she picked yellow to glue her quatrefoil on! So cute! Tell her Miss Ashley is proud of her and wishes she could have given her one of those lessons! :) And of course, I miss her like crazy!

Grandma said...

Wow-she did great. They both did. I remember how proud we were when Maddy started that works. Maybe show them where Guatamala is on Maddy's map?