Sunday, March 8, 2009

A parent afternoon...in Feb.

Kevin & I were lucky enough to be able to attend Maddy's second parent afternoon on a lovely warm day in February. Maddy was thrilled to give us a geometry lesson but, she gave us a grammar lesson first.
She laid out her work...
She wrote out her phrase... "the bitter taste" "the sweet taste"
She was to identify the noun, adjective, and article in the phrase & fill in the symbol...
This lesson helps her identify the parts of a sentence & will prepare her for diagramming sentences. ( I have to admit I loved diagramming sentences in high school! I am so weird.) A photo of the goodies prepared for us... Next, came the geometry lesson...
Similar, Congruent, and Equivalent Triangles...
After our lessons, we peeked around the classroom...I enjoyed reading what some classmates had written on the clipboard to be discussed at the next class meeting...
...no chewing gum, no coloring in books, 3 people sitting at 2 person tables, and no chewing on pencils...the children "notice" rules being broken and write them on the clipboard to be discussed. I love it!
**********
I snuck some photos of Maddy with her friends inside...
and outside... Kevin & I feel so blessed that the girls are able to go to such a wonderful school that nourishes them intellectually & recognizes the need for lots of outside physical activity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Diagramming sentences in 1st grade.....geometry, too! YIKES!!
I'm not sure we EVER did that in grade school. Wow!

Love,
Aunt Cindy

Grandma said...

I love diagramming too! But, the geometry, not so much.