Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A thoughtful neighbor

Last night, I was feeding the girls dinner. Our dog, Polly, had been outside for about 10 minutes so I let her in the back door. Immediately Maddy started holding her nose and mouth and yelling, "She stinks! Oh...I am going to vomit! Get her out of here!" I (knowing how dramatic my daughter is) calmly say, "Maddy, I just let her in. It is really hot outside and she probably smells a little. Please don't yell. Calm down and finish eating." Maddy took off out of the room and started running upstairs. I head after her yelling, "Clear your space." She claims the vomit is coming and she has to leave. Now, Maddy has never used the word vomit before. I find it funny that she is becoming such an elementary kid. She burps, tells jokes, and teases her sister (You know, Elly, that corn dogs are really made from dogs. Seriously." Anyway, I digress. I took pity on her and cleared her space for her. Coming closer to the table and walking past the dog...I smell something like...death. On closer inspection, Polly had gotten into something outside and she needed a bath. Frustrated, I let the dog outside, cleaned up dinner and Elly, and got the bath things ready. We got shoes on and invited Maddy to play outside and headed out. Polly (being the smart dog that she is) notices the towel, soap, and her leash. She takes off and runs laps around our backyard! What should have taken 20 minutes turned into an hour because of her antics. Our neighbor, Sharon, calls hello from the front yard and I fill her in on our evening activities. I am feeling a little bit guilty because she probably heard me yelling (okay... pleading and begging!) at the dog and yelling at Maddy who thought it would be funny to "rope" Elly with her hula hoop on the trampoline and gave her a bloody lip. Finally, Polly is bathed. The girls enjoyed time on the trampoline and swingset and we headed inside for drinks and baths. I hear the doorbell ring. Normally, I let it go during bathtime but the girls have a new bath game (another blog!) and were playing nicely. I knew it was our neighbor's son because he rings our doorbell an interesting way so I hustled downstairs. He hands me a plate of these:
He says, "My mommy thinks you guys need some of these!" Ahh, now isn't that sweet? Sharon is the best neighbor! Thank you for thinking of us! They were delicious! Those yummy pink cupcakes did not stand a chance with my two girls!

Elly examined hers and squealed, "Ohhh...there is pink and blue and green inside!"

Don't we have great neighbors?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want you and your family to know that I really enjoy reading you blog. It makes me feel like I have a connection with all of you. The cupcakes looked really yummy. If there is something stinky for a dog to roll in they WILL find it. Give everyone a kiss Hello. We love you all.

Amy said...

Just one of the reasons I do not want a dog. Our cats don't roll around in nasty stuff. :)