Thursday, April 16, 2009
tonsils.
Madalyn had a consult with Dr. S this morning to see if she needs her tonsils out. She does. He said she is starting to have systemic reactions to the strep infections and damage could happen to her heart & kidneys. Taking out her tonsils & adenoids will greatly decrease the risk of getting strep again. Unfortunately, we switched our health insurance plan on 3.1.09 so we have to wait 240 days for them to cover this 20 minute procedure! Grrr. But, I think that Dr. S & Dr. B (Maddy's primary care physician) are both going to write letters to BCBS to see if they will waive the waiting period. My goodness...we have been with BCBS for over 12 years! I don't understand why when you upgrade to a better plan that they subject you to these crazy waiting periods! I digress...
Dr. S also told us that if Maddy begins to have a fever, nausea, or a sore throat, to bring her in so she can have a penicillin shot. Her body has had the strep infection 7 times in the past 19 months. We need to stay on top of this & keep her healthy (strep-free) until she can have her surgery.
He also said that one of us is probably a carrier...so no more sharing cups, food, drinks, anything. Maddy is to have her own special items. Also, she needs a new toothbrush before, during, & after infections. So...we will be picking up lots of toothbrushes this weekend & getting rid of old water bottles.
When she does have the outpatient procedure done...it will take about 20 minutes. They will watch her for several hours and then she will need to miss one week of school & she cannot leave town for 2 weeks! We will get this all coordinated & keep you posted...
***********************************************************
PS~Easter weekend pics are coming...soon. I took 93 pictures! Goodness...how will I ever choose?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I understand the frustration of the waiting period-that is just crazy and it's a needed procedure-not a face lift or something.
Poor little Maddy! Please give her a hug for me. I hope that you're able to get her tonsils out sooner, because it sounds like the sooner it gets done the better. I bet that she's really disappointed that she'll miss 1 week of school. My heart goes out to you and Kevin, because I know that you don't ever want your children to be in pain in anyway and I hope that your insurance will waive the waiting period for you. Stay healthy and I can't wait to see your Easter pictures. By the way the girl's yellow dresses are adorable!!
Well, good grief! I would hope for something that needs to be done right away, they'll have good enough sense to let this happen. Stupid insurance companies!!
Maybe I should have my tonsils taken out too....got a monster sore throat!
Great!!
Love you!
Aunt Cindy
Wow! 93 pictures is quite a lot! Lol! that sounds like something I would do!
Post a Comment