Friday, October 10, 2008
what. a. week.
It has been a crummy week at our house. Elly was sent home on Tuesday with a fever. It raged all night and Kevin took her to the doctor on Wednesday morning. She has strep throat. Ugh. We were glad to get her on an antibiotic hoping it would get her back up and going. But... Thursday~raging fever. Friday~raging fever...at one point it was 104.6 degrees. You read that right...104.6 degrees. What the heck? Our doctor wants to wait it out. Says we are on the right track. Whatever. (Can you tell my sleep has been interrupted this week?) I think she needs a stronger antibiotic. She is on amoxil. 1 1/2 tsp. twice a day. That is a lot of medicine to get down a child who gags after it even touches her lips or if she smells it. Did I mention she HATES this medicine? Tonight, she projectile vomited all of the amoxil I had just given her in addition to her dinner. That was fun giving her a second dose of amoxil. At one point, I put down the measuring cup to give her a drink of water and Elly actually grabbed the medicine and poured it DOWN THE DRAIN! Elly is good at expressing how she really feels about things. I did some research on the internet tonight and found some articles claiming that amoxil and penicillin don't do a good job of getting rid of strep throat. Those drugs don't kill the strep "bugs" and they linger in the child's body causing the child to be sick off and on for months. The child is also at risk of getting a stronger, more resistant strain down the road. That news makes a mom happy. Looks like I will be calling the doctor AGAIN tomorrow. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Maddy does not come down with this.
PS~Did I mention that we are supposed to have family pictures tomorrow?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, goodness! I'm reading this to Uncle Randy in his hospital room. He doesn't like medicine either! Sending prayers your way in hopes that she's back on the mend soon...
Love you!
Aunt Cindy & Uncle Randy
For sure on calling the Dr again. Love and kisses
Wow-pouring it down the drain. She is pretty clear about her feelings. It's no fun trying to get those meds down when they don't like them! I hope she's better soon.
Post a Comment